Hungarian Ambassador to Australia, His Excellency Gabor Csaba: Topics discussed during the presentation and the Q&A session
The Capital Jewish Forum had the opportunity to hear Ambassador Gabor Csaba speak on ‘Hungary: 20 Years On and Now in the Driver’s Seat’ at the Ambassador’s residence.
During his presentation, Ambassador Csaba gave a succinct overview of Hungary’s 1000-year history in the heart of Europe. A major emphasis of the presentation was in relation to the European Union, with Hungary taking over the rotating presidency on 1 January 2011 for the first time. The Ambassador described the ambitious agenda his government has vis-a-vis its EU presidency. Some of the other major topics that were raised in the Ambassador’s presentation and the subsequent Q&A session include:
- the Global Financial Crisis – its impact on Hungary and the government’s response;
- Hungary’s major foreign policy objectives;
- minority groups in both Hungary and Europe – especially relating to the Roma;
- a European policy on energy security;
- enlargement of the European Union;
- the controversial new Hungarian media laws;
- Charles Zentai (accused Hungarian Nazi war criminal now residing in Western Australia);
- the rise of the extreme right in Europe – including in Hungary; and
- Hungary’s relationship with the US, Russia and Turkey.